It is an honor to announce Gina Wand as this year’s recipient of the Joey Day Pope ’54 Award for Community Service in recognition of her 13 years of volunteer support at Catlin Gabel School.
The Joey Day Pope ’54 Volunteer Award is given each year to a Catlin Gabel community member who personifies volunteerism and selfless service. This individual demonstrates longevity of service to the Catlin Gabel School, brings enthusiasm and commitment, acts as an ambassador of Catlin Gabel, provides gifts of talent and time, and possesses qualities of character and responsibility.
Since her arrival in 2007, Gina has:
- Volunteered as a PFA class rep, member at large, and on the PFA Executive Board
- Chaired the Catlin Gabel Auction three times, including in 2020
- Served two years on the Catlin Gabel Fund Committee
- Led a Breakaway session in 2017
- Cheered and supported sports teams as a CG athletics booster and fan
In addition to the countless hours of service on numerous committees, Gina even stepped in as a Lower School teaching assistant mid-year in 2018 when the position couldn’t be filled.
Catlin Gabel parents and employees have recognized Gina’s steadfast willingness to help as she received multiple nominations for this award. Congratulations, Gina, and thank you for generously sharing your time, heart, and talents during the past 13 years.
What our community members appreciate about Gina:
- She is CG Blue all the way through! It is hard to think of one time that the school asked her for help, to step up, to pitch in and that she said no. Her grace, calm, and feistiness are a combination from which Catlin Gabel has benefited for many years. –Barbara Ostos, Assistant Head of School
- I would call Gina THAT PARENT, the kind I knew I could count on to volunteer her time and skills any time I needed her. It has been my pleasure as a parent, PFA member and a friend to know Gina and to have worked with her. –Lisa Ericksen, PFA
- Gina is always first in line to volunteer to assist the girls’ soccer program in any way. She puts the players and collective team first and is a huge Eagles fan. She cheers positively for every player. As a coach it is great to have such a supportive, positive parent. –Chris Dorough, Head Varsity Girls Soccer Coach
- Gina has an amazing ability to express genuine admiration and appreciation for the work of faculty and staff, while at the same time identifying concrete ways to make the Catlin experience better for students, families, faculty and staff. –Jed Mitchell, PFA