News & Events
For the second consecutive year, the Catlin Gabel Varsity Chess Team won first in the team championship to defend their ranking as overall chess champions in the state of Oregon.
The Junior Varsity chess team finished best among 2A/3A/4A/5A schools in its division at the team championship.
The Varsity Chess Team won every single match they played all season—12 in the city league, and five at the state championship.
Highlights of the state tournament, held Saturday, March 3, 2018:
- Duncan Soiffer ’20 won the prize for best overall fourth-board performance in the Varsity division.
- Hansen Lian ’19 won the prize for best overall third-board performance in the Varsity division.
- Seth Talyansky ’19 won the prize for best overall first-board performance in the Varsity division.
- Jimmy Maslen ’20, Arlo Maslen ’22, Nathaniel Veimau ’18, Louis Ye ’18, Peter Ye ’22, and Marcus Ho ’22 steered the second team.
- Seth, Hansen, Duncan, Jimmy, Sean Uan-Zo-Li ’21, and Avi Gupta ’19 led the first team to state supremacy.
Catlin Gabel's 3A OSAA designation applies in this sport as well, but CG Chess played teams across all classifications to end their season with a 17-0-0 record. They defeated 6A teams including Lincoln and Wilson high schools.