We encourage you to recycle school supplies from previous years that are in good working order.
We have made every effort to make the supply list manageable and realistic.
The list does not include subject-specific books, which will be distributed throughout the year as needed.
All supplies should be clearly marked with your name and contact information.
Supplies to bring from home
- Black or blue ballpoint pens
- One 3-ring binder (6th graders also need six 2-pocket folder that serve as subject dividers
- Lined paper (recycled paper is fine for most assignments; often teachers have a supply on hand)
- 6th graders are not required to purchase or have a calculator in class. These will be provided.
- 7th graders need a Texas Instruments TI-30XS MULTIVIEW Scientific Calculator. (If you would like Lynda Douglas to order one for you, please send her an email ASAP at email@example.com. She can purchase them for $13.95). Please do not purchase any other brand or model; the formats can differ significantly.
- 8th graders should bring their calculators from last year to school. Some 8th grade students will need to purchase a different calculator and will be informed of this on the first day of school. If you are new to Catlin Gabel and the 8th grade, you will learn which calculator you will need on the first day of school.
- All 8th grade students are required to purchase a spiral tablet with graph paper (Quad Spiral Tablet) and five different colored highlighters.
- PLEASE write your name on the calculator by scratching it in or using an engraving pencil. In addition, with so many students using the same calculator, adorn the cover with distinctive art so that yours is easily identified. Consider your calculator needs over the course of two or three years. If calculators are a financial hardship, please let Barbara Ostos know.
- Glue sticks (2 minimum)
- Small set of colored pencils, optional for 8th graders
- Small 3-holed pouch/box for supplies
- Individual classes might require additional supplies, such as red pens, highlighters, or rulers. Students will hear about these in the first days of the school year.
- PE shoes (no black soles) to be left at school
- PE shorts, shirt, and socks to be left at school, other than when they are brought home to be washed.
- Chinese language students need a three-ring notebooks (no spiral please).
- French language students need 2 white-board markers (vivid colors that can be seen from afar, i.e. no yellow), a three-ring notebook (no spirals please), and software that allows them to do continuous work at home AND at school on projected presentations , i.e. PowerPoint or Keynote).
- 6th grade science students need a stapler and scissors able to cut card stock
We encourage you to contact Barbara if you need assistance with supplies at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 503-297-1894 ext. 368.
Supplies provided at school
- An agenda assignment book
- Used or new textbooks (let teachers know which you prefer so discuss this as a family.)
- Sketchbook (6th grade)
- Math binder & supplies (6th grade) Math HW notebook (7th grade)
- Science binder, text, and supplies (6th grade), science binder and supplies (7th grade), and lab book (8th grade)
Supplies you need at home
- Language translation dictionaries—French, Chinese, or Spanish
- Extra paper and graph paper
- Compass, protractor, ruler (metric/standard), and calculator
Your child will need access to a computer with Internet and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint).
If you are buying a laptop, please contact Daisy Steele in IT prior to purchase. We strongly encourage all families to purchase laptops through Catlin Gabel, if you choose this as an option for your Middle School student. We have coordinated with both Apple and Lenovo to receive education discounts and features not available to the general public. Check the website for additional information about laptops www.catlin.edu/upper/technology/laptop-program
As always, please feel free to contact Barbara with questions or concerns.