International & Exchange Students

students walking on campus

Catlin Gabel welcomes applications for admission from international and exchange students through our global education program.

Exchange students attend Catlin Gabel for one year or less. Exchange students come to us through unique relationships with partner schools, or partner organizations such as ASSIST. Exchange students must have adequate housing with a parent, relative, or guardian in the area. We will not consider exchange students living with host families arranged by an agency. If you have questions regarding the application process as an international exchange student, please contact Director of Global Education, John Harnetiaux.

We also welcome applications from international students that apply with the intent to graduate from Catlin Gabel. As with exchange students, international degree-seeking students must live with a parent, relative, or legal guardian. If you have questions regarding the application process as an international student, please contact Senior Associate Director of Admission, Mary Braun. 


The application process is competitive. We accept a limited number of exchange and international students each year. Generally, students follow the regular admissions timeline. When you are ready to apply, follow the steps and adhere to the deadlines for all Upper School applicants.

If you have unique circumstances or timeline concerns about applying as an exchange student, contact Director of Global Education, John Harnetiaux.


Applicants are required to take an admission test. Please see our Admission Testing page for more information and a list of accepted tests.

The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is also required if your primary or fluent language is not English and you have not been taught primarily in English the past four years. The TOEFL helps the admission committee fully evaluate a student's competence in English. We look for a minimum score of 100 on the internet based test, or a minimum score of 25 on each of the three sections on the paper based test.

The TOEFL is required in addition to the admission test. Catlin Gabel will not accept the TOEFL Junior Test. Please have your scores sent directly to Catlin Gabel. Our school code for the TOEFL is 7621.


Catlin Gabel is not a boarding school. International degree-seeking students must live with a parent, relative, or legal guardian. Housing arrangements need to include an adult who will be involved in the child's education and be available for conferences. It is the nature of our school to have parent and/or guardian involvement in the child's education. Catlin Gabel finds host families for up to two exchange students annually. We will not consider international degree seeking or exchange students living with host families arranged by an agency.


Students who are accepted to Catlin Gabel receive an I-20 statement from Catlin Gabel, which is required to apply for an F-1 visa in most cases.


All upper school students must have:

  • 5 doses Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (Tdap)
  • 4 doses Polio
  • 1 dose Varicella (chicken pox)
  • 2 doses Measles/Mumps/Rubella combination (or 1 dose each Mumps and Rubella individually)
  • 3 doses Hepatitis B

Grades 9 and 10 need one additional shot:

  • 1 dose Tdap (booster usually given after age 10)
Upper School Palma Presentation student

Connect with us

Get admission and financial assistance news and updates delivered directly to your inbox.

Sign up today

Admission Events

NWAIS Presentation: The Benefits of an Independent School Education
The Commons at Taborspace, 5441 SE Belmont St, Portland, OR 97215
Palma Scholars Program Breakfast
Multnomah Athletic Club, 1849 SW Salmon St, Portland, OR 97205

Have a Question?

Send us an email at