The learning center is at the core of the school’s philosophy written by Ruth Catlin in 1928: "Each pupil is the unit of consideration, under conditions which will serve to develop his fullest powers as an individual and group member.”
The learning center is guided by ongoing brain research that is shared with faculty, parents, and students. Students and parents are invited to make an appointment in the learning center through e-mail, phone, or in person. Frequently, students are referred by their parents or teachers, and are often self-referred. In recent years between 75 and 95 percent of each graduating class has used the learning center services in one form or another during their time at Catlin Gabel.
All Upper School students are encouraged to use a wide variety of services including:
- Learning style assessment and consultation.
- Study skill instruction: individual based on learning style and group in classroom settings.
- Referrals to outside resources: tutors, coaches, educational psychologists, research findings.
- Peer tutoring program in the Middle School.
- Facilitating support services for learning disabled/ADHD students.
- A quiet place to study and meet with tutors.
- Sharing learning style information with student, teachers, and parents.
- Facilitate teacher and parent meetings with outside professionals.
The learning center seeks to help all students meet our curricular goals. Catlin Gabel is able to make some limited accommodations for individual learning styles, but we do not offer special education services. Accommodations are limited by the needs of other students and the staffing available.
All Kinds of Minds Understanding differences in learning.
Schwab Learning Parent guide to helping kids with learning difficulties.
How-to-Study A study skills resource guide.
Study Guides and Strategies An educational public service helping learners succeed.
College Board Planning for college.
Test Taking Central Practical study tips for taking tests.
For additional information about the learning center, please contact
503-297-1894 ext. 385