- Trees reduce energy used for cooling.
- Trees reduce infrastructure needed to manage stormwater.
- Trees improve air quality.
- The short term goal is to achieve 40% urban tree canopy as recommended by American Forest.
- The long term goal is to achieve 47% urban tree canopy as recommended in the finding of the Urban Forest Canopy Cover in Portland Oregon 1972-2002 Final Report by Joseph Poracsky and Michael Lackner at the Portland State University Geography Department.
- The objective is to plant 150 new trees every year.
- Poracsky and Lackner recommend 12% tree canopy cover for commercial areas. Washington County considers schools to be commercial. Catlin Gabel School exceeds the 12% recommendation.
- Catlin Gabel School has achieved and is maintaining 40% tree canopy.