How can you make a lasting difference?
Include Catlin Gabel in your will or living trust.
Many people find that they can best support Catlin Gabel by including the school as a beneficiary in their will or living trust. Planned gifts ensure the financial health and longevity of the school. Alumni and friends who include Catlin Gabel in their estate plans are eligible for membership in the Ruth Catlin and Priscilla Gabel Legacy Society.
To discuss a planned gift to Catlin Gabel, please contact Miranda Wellman, director of advancement, 503.297.1894 ext. 398.
Ruth Catlin and Priscilla Gabel Society
The Ruth Catlin and Priscilla Gabel Legacy Society recognizes people who have named Catlin Gabel in their will or in another type of estate plan arrangement. Gifts to the Ruth Catlin and Priscilla Gabel Legacy Society become a permanent part of the school's endowment, ensuring that Catlin Gabel's tradition of academic excellence will continue.
Legacy society members are honored guests at school events, receive regular information from the school, and are recognized on the donor wall in the Cabell Center Theater, as well as on the school's website. You can also choose to be an anonymous member.
When you are interested in furthering Catlin Gabel's mission, reducing your taxes, or possibly even increasing your income.
A charitable remainder trust can provide you with the greatest tax benefit by giving you an immediate tax deduction, helping you avoid some capital gains tax, and potentially increasing your lifetime income.
Cash may be the easiest way to give to Catlin Gabel, but it is not always the most beneficial to your personal finances. You should contact your financial advisor or the development office at Catlin Gabel to find out which type of gift is the best fit for your family.
If one of your goals is to avoid capital gains taxes, a gift to Catlin Gabel of appreciated stock (that you have held for at least one year) might be the best way to accomplish this.
Yes. Establishing a charitable lead trust allows you to give a gift to Catlin Gabel and transfer your assets to your heirs later with significantly reduced tax implications.
A charitable gift annuity (CGA) is a contract between the donor and the school. A CGA offers fixed payments for life. The donor contributes cash or marketable securities to Catlin Gabel in exchange for Catlin Gabel's contractual promise to pay the donor and another annuitant, if desired, a guaranteed income for life at a rate based on the age(s) of the annuitant(s). Catlin Gabel asks that you give a minimum of $25,000 to establish a charitable gift annuity.
A deferred gift annuity is another form of charitable gift annuity in which payments start more than one year after the annuity is established. These are appropriate for those in income earning years who anticipate a need for income after retirement but could use an immediate charitable tax deduction.
Charitable remainder trusts are trusts you create by designating a person or persons to receive annual income payments. At the conclusion of the life of the beneficiary, the principal of the trust goes to Catlin Gabel.
There are several ways to structure a trust depending on your needs and those of your family. We can help you identify the best structure and work with your advisors during the process.
Real estate as an outright gift of the entire or a fractional interest
An outright gift of unencumbered real estate may allow you to make a significant gift to Catlin Gabel without incurring capital gains tax on the transfer of a highly appreciated asset. In addition, you could see reductions in both income taxes and estate taxes.
- For tax purposes, you can deduct up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income with gifts of real estate and can carry the deduction forward for up to five additional years.
- You may give your entire interest or a fractional interest in the property. however, the nature of real property gifts usually requires that they have a minimum equity of $100,000.
- Provided that you have owned the property for more than one year, a gift of an interest in real property to Catlin Gabel will entitle you to a charitable income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the interest in the property on the date of the transfer.
- You will need to have your gift of real estate appraised by an independent appraiser to determine the value of your deduction, and then have the deduction substantiated by irs form 8283.
A gift of a remainder interest in certain types of real estate property
If you own a primary residence, a second home, or a farm, and you wish to dispose of such property in your estate but you wish to continue to use the property for your lifetime, then a unique gift opportunity is available.
- You may give Catlin Gabel a remainder interest in that property and retain the right to live in it for your lifetime.
- At your death, the property automatically passes to Catlin Gabel.
- This type of gift generates a current charitable income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the property less the present value of your retained life estate.
Other possibilities for gifts of real estate
Real estate may also be appropriate for funding a charitable remainder trust or making a bequest.