Welcome to Catlin Gabel
Congratulations on your child's admission!
We look forward to your family becoming part of our community.
We have compiled helpful information for new families. Be sure to contact the admission team or your host family with questions or issues that arise as you make the transition.
Save the date ~ invitation and more details will be emailed to you soon!
Welcome to the Beginning and Lower School Reception
Sunday, May 7 11am-12pm
Welcome to the Middle School Reception
Wednesday, May 10, 6:30pm-8pm
Welcome to the Upper School Reception
Thursday, May 18, 6:30pm-7:30pm
Thursday, June 1, 6-7pm
Thursday, June 8, 6-7pm
Invitation and more details will be sent via email.
Middle School Summer Outdoor Trips
- Surfing Day Trip to the Oregon Coast (June 22)
- White Salmon Rafting and Beacon Rock Adventure (June 25)
- Banks-Vernonia Bike Trip (July 2)
Trip descriptions and costs can be found on the Middle School Summer Trips sign-up form.
Upper School Summer Outdoor Trips
- Mt Hood Climb (June 15-16)**
- San Juan Sea Kayak Expedition (June 25 - 29) *
- Leavenworth Rock Climbing (June 25 - 30) *
- Leadership and Backpacking in the Olympic Mountains (July 5 - 10)**
- California Bike Trip (July 5 - 18) *
- Silver Star Mountaineering (July 15 - 18)**
- Eclipse Backpacking (August 17-23) *
*Available to students entering grades 9-12 in Fall 2017.
**Available to students entering grades 10-12 in Fall 2017.
Trip descriptions and costs can be found on the Upper School Summer Trips sign-up form.
If you have any questions, please contact Outdoor Education Program Director John Harnetiaux.
To make sure you have all the latest news, in mid-July you will be added to the 2017-18 mailing lists for your division's e-newsletter. The links below provide an up-to-date archive of past newsletters.
This spring, all newly enrolled families will receive information about our host family program. We'll match you with a current family as an initial connection for both parents and students. Your host family will reach out to you by phone or email to welcome you and chat about the school. We encourage you to use your hosts as a valuable resource.
The Parent-Faculty Association will also be providing multiple opportunities for both parents and students to meet and socialize before school starts in September, so watch for details.
In mid-July, you will receive an email with your login and password for the parent portal section of our website. To be sure you receive your notifications, please add email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of approved recipients within your email application.
In this secure section of our website, you'll have access to a school-wide directory with contact information for students, parents, and faculty; forms to update your contact information, emergency contacts, and student medical information; our carpool map; classroom blogs; and many other community resources.
If you need to update your contact information prior to gaining access to the forms in the parent portal, please email changes to email@example.com.
We encourage you to explore your division's website to learn more about life on campus. On these pages you'll find schedules, curriculum, course catalogs, information on clubs and co-curricular programs, and much more!
Hear more about Catlin Gabel from the people who know it best: our school head Tim Bazemore, students, teachers, parents, and staff.
- Beginning & Lower School: The Parent-Faculty Association will be providing multiple opportunities for both parents and students to meet and socialize before school starts in September. You'll also receive information about welcome activities this summer.
- Middle School: Chris Bell, MS Office Manager, will be in touch to provide information about orientation activities for all Middle School students coming up this August. Chris can be reached by email or at 503-203-5103.
- Upper School: Robyn Washburn, US Registrar, will be in touch about upcoming placement testing dates and course selection. Robyn can be reached by email or at 503-297-1894 ext 316. You will also be receiving email communications about orientations, book and laptop purchases, fall retreats, and other important details.
Preseason schedule for fall sports including soccer, cross country, and volleyball.
- Monday, August 28 - Tuesday, August 29
- Upper School overnight rafting trip for all new students
- Thursday, August 31
- Upper School 101 for students and parents
- Tuesday, September 5
- Lower School open house
- Middle School classes begin
- Upper School classes begin
- Wednesday, September 6
- Kindergarten orientation
- Preschool classes begin for half the class
- Lower School classes begin
- Wednesday, September 6 - Friday, September 8
- Freshman class trip
- Thursday, September 7
- Preschool classes begin for half the class
- Kindergarten classes begin
- Tuesday, September 12
- Upper School Back to School night for parents
- School holidays
- Labor Day: Monday, September 4
- Thanksgiving Break: Saturday, November 18-Sunday, November 26
- Winter Break: Saturday, December 16-Monday, January 1
- Martin Luther King Jr Day: Monday, January 15
- Presidents' Day: Monday, February 19
- Spring Break: Friday, March 23-Sunday, April 1
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 28
- Note: Classes are in session on Columbus Day & Veteran's Day
- Friday, June 15: Last day of classes
Summer CampsRegistration is currently open! We have a wide variety of day camps and programs in the arts, music, technology, robotics, writing, sports, outdoor adventures, and more!