Independent PE Requirements
Consider applying for independent PE credit!
All Upper School students are required to complete seven trimester credits of physical education, along with two trimesters of health; of the PE credits, up to six may be earned independently. To qualify for independent credit, an activity must meet the following criteria:
- The student applies for credit prior to the term in which the coursework will be completed. (Download an application at the bottom of this page.)
- The PE department approves the application.
- The activity is not offered through Catlin Gabel during the term in which the coursework will be completed.
- Participation occurs over the course of the entire twelve-week trimester.
- Participation is supervised by a professional teacher or coach (other than a parent or friend).
- The student completes a minimum of fifty hours of supervised coursework.
- The student submits bi-weekly progress reports, completed by the coach or instructor. (Download a timesheet at the bottom of this page.)
Does your activity qualify?
|Independent PE||Not Independent PE||Why?|
|Club volleyball during the spring season||Club volleyball during the fall season||In the fall, you can play for Catlin.|
|Applying for winter credit in October||Applying for winter credit in February||You must apply before the term in which you want the credit.|
|Summer soccer league, totaling 50 hours||10-day soccer camp, totaling 50 hours||Activity must be spread over 12 weeks.|
|Lifting weights in a fitness class||Lifting weights alone at the gym||Activity must be supervised.|
|Swimming every day with your swim team||Swimming every day with your dad||Supervisor cannot be a parent or friend.|
|50 hours of ballet||49 hours of ballet||You must document at least 50 hours of activity.|
|Application followed by biweekly reports||Application followed by nothing||You must turn in biweekly reports, or you will not receive credit.|
When should you apply for credit?
|Fall Trimester||Winter Trimester||Spring Trimester|
|When is it?||First day of school to Thanksgiving||Thanksgiving to spring break||Spring break to last day of school|
|When should I apply?||In the summer or during the first week of school||Before Thanksgiving||Before spring break|
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact Sheila Williams, the PE Department Chair.