- How is it possible to find the sum of an infinite number of terms?
- What are the advantages of knowing the sum of an infinite series if we can't actually know all the terms?
- What does infinity really mean if there is a way to add up an infinite number of terms to get a finite answer?
- Geometric connection to series (Fractals)
- Definition of series.
- Sigma notation - beginning value, a_n term, number of terms in series
- Formula for partial sum of an arithmetic series
- Formula for partial sum of a geometric series
- Formula for sum of an infinite geometric series - restrictions?
Skills and Processes:
- Writing series in sigma notation.
- Find the a_n term in simple series.
- Prove the formulas for the sums of a partial arithmetic series, partial geometric series, and an inifinite geometric series.
- Solving problems using the series formulas.