- When we find the variable in the denominator, what are the fundamental differences with other functions that we should be aware of?
- How are rational functions related to the parent function of 1/x?
- Why are there restrictions placed on rational functions?
- What does end behavior mean?
- Definition of rational function: r(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p and q are polynomials.
- Review operations on rational expressions (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- Simplifying complex fractions.
- Recognize and find the domain, range, and zeroes of a rational function.
- Recognize the difference between the vertical and horizontal (if present) asymptotes, and be able to find them.
- Long division of polynomials.
- Find the slant asymptote of a rational function when it has one.
Skills and Processes:
- Simplifying rational expressions.
- Graphing Rational Functions (domain, range, asymptotes, zeroes, end behavior).
- Long division of polynomials
- Transformations on 1/x