Independent Research of Our Local Community
What do we want to learn about Portland?
How can we learn about it?
How can we share what we've learned?
- Identify local landmarks and features around Portland.
- Develop questions and research to find answers to the questions using Internet, books, and primary sources.
- Conduct field studies at the specific locations of student interest to learn about the landmark or feature.
- Reading for information and note taking.
- Creating questions and determining how to find answers to the questions.
- Interviewing and learning experientially about the area of study.
- Consolidate information and present the findings to the class.
- Writing thank you letters.
- Anecdotal records
- Student work
- project completion
- learning about the diverse aspects of Portland, based on student interest.