- What kinds of freedom does the Chinese state deem necessary for economic growth and what kinds does it perceive to be threatening to national stability?
- Would too much freedom actually be damaging to China or the Chinese people?
- What is the role for democracy in Modern China?
- The party-state
- The emergence of democracy
- The rule of law
- Censorship and the flow of information
- The suppression of Falun Gong
- Forms of popular dissent
Skills and Processes:
- Understanding political systems in theory and practice
- Diagnosing the political needs of modern China and identifying viable strategies of governance
- Approaching a polarizing issue in a balanced, even-handed manner
- China: A New History by John King Fairbank
- China Road by Rob Gifford
- Oracle Bones by Peter Hessler
- Understanding China by John Bryan Starr
- Wild Grass by Ian Johnson