- How and why did systems of measurement first evolve?
- How and why was the metric system invented?
- Why is it important to learn the metric system?
- How is the metric system different from and similar to our system?
- What are the units of measurement in the metric system?
- History of measurement
- Evolution of the English Customary System
- Units of measure in the Customary System
- Design, invention and history of the Metric System
- The difference between Length, Volume, Mass and Weight
- Units of measure in the Metric System and how they were defined
- Metric prefixes and symbols
- Advantages of the metric system
Skills and Processes:
- Powers of ten; exponent review
- Decimal place value
- Estimating quantities in metric units
- Converting between units within each system
- Use of appropriate measuring tools
- <Introduction to negative exponents and scientific notation>
- Metric Pre-Test
- Estimetrics Game
- Watermelon Relay Team Test
- Written Test
- EQUALS Watermelon Activity
- Estimetrics - CSUS
- Powers of Ten DVD
- Evolution of measurement in different cultures; universality of measurement
- Historical development of the English Customary System
- Historical development of the Metric System in France
- International usage of the Metric System
- Use of the metric system in science
- Use of lab equipment for measuring
- Historical development of measurement (6th grade humanities)
- Calibration of the human body (6th grade science)