Revels Song 2012
Here's the Spanish song (half in Spanish and half in Catalonian). Please listen to it (mp3 format) and practice it at home (lyrics included in PDF format). Revels is next week!
All files are at the bottom of this page. Have fun!
Lower School Spanish
"Learning to speak another language means taking one’s place in the human community. It means reaching out to others across cultural and linguistic boundaries. Language is far more than a system to be explained. It is our most important link to the world around us. Language is culture in motion. It is people interacting with people."
Sandra Savignon Communicative Competence: Theory and Classroom Practice. Reading, MA Addison Wesley, 1983, p. 187 .
Are there different programs for modern languages?
Which language program does Catlin Gabel offer?
How often do students meet for language class?
What are the goals for language learning?
What is the curricular foundation?
Communication: Communicate in Languages Other Than English
Cultures: Gain Knowledge and Understanding of Other Cultures
Connections: Connect with Other Disciplines and Acquire Information
Comparisons: Develop Insight into the Nature of Language and Culture
Communities: Participate in Multilingual Communities at Home and Around the World
Why learning a foreign language?
- Enjoy learning a foreign language
- Are curious about strange sounds and secret codes
- Are curious about customs in other countries
- Are excellent mimics and are less self-conscious about using authentic pronunciation than adolescents or adults
- Enjoy correlating the study of a foreign language with other areas of the school curriculum
- Begin to master the sound system of the foreign language and develop a feeling of “at-homeness” with the language
- Begin to comprehend that knowing a second language may help them in their future careers
Foreign language exposure
- Helps them develop openness to other people, cultures and ways of life
- Helps them attain greater academic achievement in other areas of study
- Develops clearer understanding of the English language and greater sensitivity to structure, vocabulary and syntax
- Improves knowledge of Geography
- Improves their SATs (especially in the verbal area)
- Fosters a sense of humanity and friendship
- Increases students’ adaptability to different environments and modes of acting and thinking
- Provides insights into the human mind and language itself
- Develops the skills and habits essential to the learning process, creative inquiry and critical thinking
- Leads the students to discover and examine their own personal values and civic responsibilities