Reading at Home

Send by email

Use this chart to help your child decide if the book they are reading is "too easy", "too hard", or "just right".  Keep in mind that Just Right Books are ones in which 90% or the text is not a struggle, leaving about 10% of the text to work out. And, of course comprehension is the key!  Engaging with your young reader with questions like, "What part did you like best and why?" or "What did this book make you think of?" can help to ensure that the ideas of the book are becoming solid, not just the ability to decode the words.  And above all, have fun!  Using this chart can help to look at reading growth over time.  Maybe it will work in your family's practice too.