Alot of this week was spent cleaning up some of the hangars, with the rest of the week being mostly rocketry oriented jobs.
The first houskeeping project that I was asked to help with was clean up and transfer the peices of an aircraft. This Aircraft had reached the end of it's life, it was at a point that it was not worth repairing it to flight ready condition and was of no interest to any museum. This aircraft was a Cessna 310, which is a general aviation twin engined aircraft. This particular one was bought by premeir as a project aircraft and turned out to be more of a project then was thought at the beginning. At the end of an aircrafts life it is scrapped. The scrapping process includes taking out all of the usable or sellable parts of the aircraft and stripping the aircraft down to just it's skin and frame. I got to help out a little with this process by taking a few parts off the aircraft. Then all the parts are put on a shelf and were all put in one of the storage hangars until a buyer can be found that is interested in the aircraft parts. Then the aircraft frame that is left will eventually be taken to a scrapping company that will turn the frame into scrap aluminium that will then be recycled into other uses, perhaps even another aircraft. We took everything from flight instuments to doors, to panels, to engines off of this aircraft. Then the aircraft was placed on its belly on a flatbed trailer and was moved over to the storage hangar where it will sit until it can be taken to a scrap yard.
The next hangar cleaning project that we were asked to do was clean out the entire maintenance hanger which was in a rather messy state. this mess was surrounding a learjet that will eventually be returned to flight ready condition but at this point is nowhere near such condition. This process of cleaning out this hangar took every single hand that we could manage to snag, with even the marketing director helping out. by lunch time we were finished with the hangar and we had tranformed it from barely being able to see the aircraft to being able to work on the aircraft comfortably.
The rest of the week I spent drawing up more early technical drawings for the rocket program. My mentor on the rocket program is writing a white paper that describes the rocket program and so I created a technical diagram of the rocket design as it is right now. After that drawing was done I worked on some ideas for how to fit everything into a rather small payload section.
I left on the last day as I had left on nearly every other day because everyone knew that I would be back. I will be back to volunteer at the museum, I am far to interested in the rocket program to quite, and who knows, if they ever need an extra hand cleaning out a hangar I would be ready to come help out at the charter side of the business.