Last Few Days

Send by email

Thursday was a pretty active day.  We were planning on going to the Widmer Brewery at aroun 11:00 but they pushed it back to 11:30.  While we waited, Kevin gave me a list of things to promote the Angel Punk franchise and told me to put it in an Excel spreadsheet.  This didn't take very long because it was a really simple task.  After I finished he asked me to send him something over Yousendit.  That didn't take long either.  After that, I watched Devon finish the Relium Media opening for the sizzle video.  While we were working, I got the privalege to pick out the music for the next hour or so.  After looking through a giant stack of CDs, I picked my top five.  I ended up settling on Dire Straits.  I sat back down and listened to Devon pick out sound effects off of the web of lightning and rocks crumbling.  The finished product was pretty amazing.  I was glad because it took two days to create.  Kevin and I headed down at about 11:10 to the closet where all the equipment is stored.  There we got a tripod, and a case (I think for the display).  The Widmer Brewery was only a few minutes away from Indent Studios but it took awhile because there was a bit of traffic.  When we got there we went to the front desk and Kevin talked with a woman there.  After our "tour" guide showed up, we went back to the car to grab the camera, only to find that there weren't any batteries in the monitor.  We'd have to eyeball the focus and white balance without the monitor.  The first room contained four huge countainers that extracted the sugars from the malt.  We then entered the bottling room.  It was probably one of the loudest things I have ever heard in my life.  Probably on par with PIR (unintentional rhyming).  The bottling room was pretty big and there were hundreds of bottles on the conveyor.  I followed Kevin around shooting different parts of the bottling process, such as the filling, capping, and sealing.  One of the coolest things to see was the labeler.  Widmer produces over 500 bottles a minute.  That means the "filling" machine fills over 8 bottles a second.  I was in charge of setting up and taking down the tripod when Kevin needed it.  It was a cool experience.  After we finished in the bottling room, we went down to the room where they fill kegs.  The manager was much more uptight in this room because there were forklifts traveling back and forth.  In the middle of the room were two giant robot arms that picked up kegs and stacked them on pallets.  After about 10 minutes in there, we went back to the front room and shot some of the containers of malt.  The man working there opened one of them so that we could see the water being added to the malt.  Lastly we went to the room next to it which was where they keep the malt.  I got to film a few things in here, such as a forklift moving the malt, and a general pan around the room.  All in all it was a fun experience.  On the way back we stopped at Staples and the Bank.  When we got back to the studio, Kevin's spot was taken, so we had to carry the equipment through the rain into the studio.  It was a pretty miserable 30 seconds of my life.  When we got everything into the closet, I headed upstairs and dumped all the footage onto the computer.  Kevin told me to put in some B-roll over the interviews that were already in place.  The first thing I did was add descriptions to all of the footage so I knew what exactly it was.  Then I listened to the interview and placed B-roll over parts that seemed to go with what we had shot.  It was a little frustrating at times because we never shot a wide shot of the bottling room.  I had to make do with what we had.  I basically edited for the rest of the day.


Friday was a normal day.  I arrived a few minutes before nine but the door was locked.  I called the officed but no one picked up, so I had to walk back to my car and grab a sheet with Devon's number on it.  As I sat down on the couch, Devon told me about the problem he was having with the GH2.  He said that the battery level wasn't showing up on the display, which would would be a huge problem when they go out on shoots.  I spent the next 15 minutes reading through menus and searching online for the answer.  I couldn't find anything.  After a few minutes the battery died (ironic I know), and I had to replace it.  When I found a replacement the battery level icon showed up.  Hurray!  We concluded that different types of batteries interact with the camera differently, and in order for the icon to show up, you must use a Lumix brand battery.  This was pretty strange.  For most of the rest of the day I edited the Widmer footage.  I got almost all of the B-roll done for the interviews and had to create a short 10 second montage.  The only thing I found difficult about finding B-roll for the interviews was that many of the descriptions were extremely long, and I didn't have enough footage to cover all of it.  I ended up having to reuse some of the B-roll in certain parts, but that's how's going to have to be.  The description of the keg process was particularly difficult because we only had a few shots of B-roll.  I ended up having to cut down some of the audio and make it sound real.  I cut out many of the unneccesary descriptions and only left the critical information.  The montage was fun to make because each clip lasted less than a second and I basically made a 10 sec video of how they bottle beer.  After i finished that, I went to some of the interviews earlier in the timeline and edited some of the interviews.  The interview was shot with 3 cameras, so there were 3 views to choose from, and I had to jump from different views so whoever watches it wouldn't get bored.  This proved a little challenging because a lot of the time a camera was unusable because it was too shaky.  The thing I found out is that I have to change the camera over the cuts or else it looks poorly made.  Kevin and Devon were having an interview with a few people and I had to go to the market down the street for some sodas.  I was fine with this until I realized it was raining, and my car was 6 blocks away.  I quickly walked and got them.  Kevin congratulated me on my timeliness.  After I gave them the sodas, I sat back down and finished editing the footage.


Yesterday was my last day and it was a pretty exciting day.  I arrived and found the door unlocked this time and went upstairs.  I saw Devon's car outside, but he wasn't in the office, which was weird.  I sat down on the couch and waited until he showed up.  When he came in, he said he was setting up downstairs so I followed him down.  There was a greenscreen set up with five lights and a RED Camera.  Two of the lights lit the background, and a main light next to the camera lit the subject.  The other two lights were placed behind the greenscreen lights and lit the hair.  These lights were slightly warmer in temperature and gave off a redish glow.  This is so that when the editor keys out the green, he or she will have an easier job because the green off of the greenscreen doesn't reflect onto the subject.  After we noticed a few spots on the greenscreen that were a little dark, we decided to put a diffuser over the light so that it would spread out more evenly.  Devon and I each set up a frame and put on the diffuser.  We then put them on tripods and weighed them down with sandbags.  I somehow dislodged the tightener and we had to pry it off.  We spent the next 10 minutes or so trying to get the frame out.  Things weren't going well for the first hour.  Mercedes, the actress, was showing up at 10:30 because her neighbor's cow got out and wreaked havoc.  I had to sit in as the subject and Devon adjusted the sound levels and the lights.  After that we put the test footage on the computer and tested the key.  It turned out really well.  We then continued adjusting the lights and I replaced the battery in the microphone.  I then helped Kevin put up some large wooden pallets in front of the doorway so that it sounded better, and people wouldn't enter during filming.  I watched Mercedes do the first few lines, and after about 20 takes, the card was full.  Devon explained to me how to back up the footage on the hardrive.  It was very important that I transfer data from the card only, and not copy data from one drive to another.  The process took about 17 minutes until we realized that we could use the RED card reader and a firewire 800 cable.  After that it only took about 4 minutes a card.  I spent most of my day backing up footage on hardrives.  At lunchtime, I printed out all of the lengthy lines in large font so that I could hold them next to the camera for reference.  When Devon and Mercedes got back from lunch, I gave them the sheets of paper.  After lunch, we realized that we were off a reel.  Devon's paper said we were at 12, but on the computer we were at 11.  I found the problem and everything turned out fine!  Devon accidently went from six to seven while turning the page.  I breathed a sigh of relied because we didn't lose any footage.  When Mercedes was done with all of the easy lines, I came down and held up the paper so she could do the harder lines.  It was rather difficult to stand still for minutes on end, but I managed to get through it.  Oh and Mercedes did too.  After we finally finished and got the "Martini Shot", I went upstairs and backed up the last four cards, which took about half and hour.  Jake was next to me editing some of the interviews he shot of some of the people that have been working on Angel Punk.  After they were backed up, I went back downstairs and helped pack up.  After that, I headed out into the sunny weather and hurried home to get ready for the senior/faculty dinner.