Our Daily Adventures!

posted in
Send by email

What We Did Today!

Today was yet another exciting day! We began with an assembly to the school to introduce ourselves to everyone, which went over quite marvelously! The general energy of everyone at the school was wonderful and made presenting at an assembly extremely fun! We followed that by splitting up into two groups. Some of us shadowed people and went to classes, and the other half returned to the Botswana Baylor Center to work more with the morning play group, and continue painting the mural. The play group was focused on the math curriculum, however, we also had time to play games and have fun with the kids. When we began to focus on the math, however, it was wonderful to see the level of understanding some of these kids had! Some even taught some of us a few math tricks! The kids were all so sweet and bright. While we knew that these kids were all HIV positive we would never have been able to tell. Aside from the majority of them looking younger than they were, they all had such great energy and joy!
                  After morning play group we returned to more mural painting! The group was smaller today so we were far more useful and everyone got to know the artist better! Turns out, he likes epic fantasy novels and has hope in the existence of unicorns. We all thought he was a pretty cool lad. During a quick break where we didn’t have much to do, we all tried some fat cakes at a café down the street. Fat cakes are as delicious as they sound. They’re basically a very large, dense, unsweetened, greasy, doughnut hole: something that America is lacking. Anyways, the mural’s coming along very nicely, and we hope to see its conclusion tomorrow!
 After lunch, we regrouped and all went to Princess Marina Hospital where we worked in the pediatric ward. Many of us spent the time filing, organizing and working with babies, but for some of us there was no work we could do. What affected me (Ellie) the most about helping out in this hospital was seeing conditions that would never be accepted in a US hospital. I spent some time organizing IV bags, and while sorting through them, we found some that were in the wrong place, or some where the outside packaging was torn. It didn’t take us much time to reorganize everything in the room, putting the right medicine where it should be for quick access, or removing said IV bags, but the lack of space and organization really showed the difference in conditions and recourses available to them. It was also difficult to see the condition of the children in the ward, many of whom had been there for months or even years. 
When our work was finished, we returned to the mural for a little before going back to Maru-a-Pula for dinner and rest.
By Ellie and Ella