So I have a decent looking background section now! It is lacking a pretty important part (footnotes), however content wise it is moving along splendidly. I have worked with Veronica to make some ammendments, and have worked on writing almost all of it. I need to add a section about the different methods I employ to silence the HA producing gene, and I need some help on how my final paragraph should look, but other than that it is all written and just needs to be polished to a shine.
I have plotted the results of my initial runs, which involve absorption coefficient (arbitrary units) vs. energy of incoming photons (in eV). I will proceed to analyze these graphs (there are 13 of them, each one at a different size of PbS sphere QD) in an upcoming post.
We have class on Wednesday and Thursday. On Wednesday, I'll go get a water sample from the Catlin stream and do my dry run for the chemical tests. If I have time, i'll also start putting together the leaf packs. If not, I'll do that on Thursday.
Vista Brook Park is within walking distance of my house, and there are a few spots under footbridges where I could tuck a leaf pack. One of these is directly downstream of a construction site, so that could be interesting.
So this has been a rough week. I have completed my first paragraph of my background and I am presently writing my second paragraph, which is focusing on what Hyaluronan and Matrix Metalloproteinases are. After that is done, which I plan to have done and posted tomorrow, I will move on to the pararaphs detailing the collection methods I will use to quantify the mRNA and protein samples. Following this, I need to get into the methods. I have yet to hear back from St.
During these long periods, I pinpointed a few locations where I'll be able to test the water. This weekend, I'm going to work on getting out to all of them, looking at potential sites for testing and leaf packs, and collecting/making mesh bags for the leaf packs.
Next week, I want to start the chemical testing and make the leaf packs.
I'll do a walk-through of the tests I'll have to do with a sample of water from on campus first, and I'll put together a calendar of when I'll go out and do chemical tests.
I used the Greek lowercase letter mu to refer to the mean size of the quantum dots (the 3 or 4 nm face-value). This is common practice in statistics.
I used x to refer to the specific quantum dot's size, which absorption coefficient A is also a function of. Hence A(x) and Ai, which is the ith absorption coefficient when x is the variable you are counting by.
As I discussed in my post "How I Met the Gaussian Distribution," I am assuming that quantum dot sizes follow a Gaussian bell-curve distribution in terms of size in a single layer of a quantum dot solar cell. The presence of variation in quantum dot sizes, as well as the fact that quantum dot sizes "center" about a face-value size like 3 or 4 nm diameter (which is the "advertised" size) are both confirmed by Santra & Kamat.
Edits to research plan:
-slightly change purpose and hypothesis
In progress-- adding sections on:
-squamous cell carcinoma (SCC)
-intro paragraph about one-size-fits all treatment to present personalized medicine as solution
-some more paragraphs about previous research done with NTRK in AML (done), lung cancer, and SCC
Seeing how the progress of the one NTRK2 mutation is coming along slowly, I've decided to incorporate the 3 other mutations + 2 wild types that I am working with into my project.
All along in the lab, I've been working with NTRK1 mutations AND the one NTRK2 mutation. It turned out that not all the mutations came from DNA from patients diagnosed with AML--there is also squamous cell carcinoma and lung cancer.