As an independent school, Catlin Gabel receives no tax, government, or church/temple monies. Tuition and fees support approximately 85 percent of the operating expenses. The remaining 15 percent gap between what is paid in tuition and what it costs to educate our students is contributed by donors through annual fundraising and interest income from the school’s endowment. In effect, every Catlin Gabel student receives an annual subsidy to help cover this gap.
Tuition for the subsequent academic year is set at the January board of trustees meeting. Here are the tuition costs for the 2013-14 school year, and a range of additional expenses for your planning.
|Beginning School (preschool)||$19,200|
|Beginning School (kindergarten)||$20,850|
|Lower School (grades 1-5)||$22,550|
|Middle School (grades 6-8)||$24,950|
|Upper School (grades 9-12)||$25,850|
Catlin Gabel families have the option of participating in a Tuition Refund Plan with Dewar Insurance.
Before-School & After-School Care
For more information about Before-School and After-School Care, including hours, grades, and current rates, please visit the Before- and After-School Care page.
Books & Division-Specific Expenses
In order to help you plan for school expenses beyond tuition, we have developed the following list of approximated charges. Optional trips vary greatly in cost and are not calculated below since they do not apply to all students. Additional miscellaneous expenses may occur from time to time in each division.
|Experiential Days||$40 - $325|
|Books (new price*)||$100 - $200|
|Breakaway||$30 - $325|
|Books (new book price*)||$450 - $750|
|Winterim||$0 - $325|
(price depends model & upgrades)
|$1,600 - $2,400|
*Book prices are based on new books. Occasionally, used books are available. Financial aid is available for Upper School books, Winterim, and laptops.
Lunch Fees Charges
The range of charges per student over a ten-month period is listed below. (Some students bring lunch and some do not.)
|Lower School||$0 - $1,000|
|Middle School||$0 - $1,500|
|Upper School||$0 - $1,600|
Charges depend on the sport and equipment.
|Basketball||$0 - $100|
|Soccer||$0 - $150|
The school offers five bus routes each morning and afternoon. Buses arrive on campus by 7:45 a.m. and leave at 3:30 p.m. Fees for the bus service range from $4.75 for a single ride to $850 for an annual pass. Financial aid recipients are eligible for reduced fees; please contact Chris Balag for details. Visit the bus information page for specific information about packages, routes and fees.